Varsity Championship Handbook (Eastern, Division III Eastern, Division III Championships)
- The event is governed the Collegiate Water Polo Association. The Championship has no direct affiliation with any other water polo or collegiate organization.
- During the actual tournament, the Tournament Committee (Technical Committee members, commissioner, host rep) serves as the authority to decide issues as they relate to the competition.
- The host institution must have a trainer or medical staff member present for the duration of the competition.
- Names of area hospitals and directions should be provided by the host to be included in the Coaches Information Packet.
- The CWPA will provide all staff necessary to run the competition and concessions area, including the admissions gate.
- The host institution must provide an additional administrator(s) other than the coach that will participate in the planning and be accessible throughout the duration of the event. Who will this individual be?
Name:________________________ Cell Phone:_________________________
Publicity and Promotion
- The CWPA retains all rights to the artwork and design information associated with the championship and at no time may any individual or organization use this without the expressed written permission from the CWPA.
- The host institution is responsible for promoting the championship within the campus outlets and local media on a weekly basis beginning three weeks prior to the event. Advertising copy must include the admission fees to be charged.
- The CWPA will post information about the event on its web site and distribute appropriate information to the teams involved in a timely manner.
- The CWPA is responsible for printing a championship program. Copies will be available for sale at a nominal price to spectators and every coach and athlete will receive a complimentary copy.
- Do you have any restaurants or businesses in the area that we should contact for advertisements?
Acknowledgements and Press
- Who do you want to acknowledge in the program?
- Is there anyone that you would want to use to throw in the first ball?
- Any VIP's that should be recognized?
- How many press passes or deck passes will you need?
- The host bears the responsibility of providing security for the event including personnel available to stand behind each team area when necessary.
- There must be a minimum of fifteen feet between the team benches and the spectator area. No one should be able to hang over team benches from a balcony.
- At least one person designated as security (appropriately attired to avoid confusion) must be assigned to each spectator area at all times. If the spectator area is divided, the host institution agrees to provide an individual designated for security at each location.
- Host must ensure that access to the venue by spectators and students is limited to one entrance, which will be monitored by CWPA staff. If additional access to the venue is possible, the host institution agrees to provide staff to monitor these access points throughout the duration of the tournament, preventing unauthorized individuals from entering. All paid spectators and students must enter through one entrance which is monitored by a CWPA staff member.
The Tournament Committee is comprised of the head referee (chair), the two referees on the game (unless involved in the protest), a representative from the host institution, and the host conference commissioner. One additional non-working official can serve as a replacement for a referee that needs to be disqualified. In addition, the head referee may use his discretion in replacing other members of the tournament committee that are either not available, or disqualified due to the protest.
Teams listed first wear dark hats and are first on the scoreboard. However, host team always wears dark caps and is home on the scoreboard irrespective of their assigned position.
See the CWPA Web Site for the various schedules
Host must set aside approximately four hours of pool time during the night preceding the championship.
- The referees are assigned by the Technical Committee.
- There will be five officials assigned for the Eastern Championship, in addition to the desk workers and staff.
- All travel and lodging arrangements for the officials will be arranged by the CWPA.
- Selection of the officials for the championship game is based in the Technical Committee's judgment.
All protests will be handled by a Tournament Committee, following the outlined procedure in the NCAA Rules Book. Who will be the individual from your institution serving on the TC (can be the same as host rep for facility)?
- Game referees receive:
- Game fees at the CWPA tournament rate
- Lodging (double occupancy)
- Ground transportation when flying
- Air Fare
- Since meals are provided by the host institution, per diem is not paid to referees.
- Host institution must provide a visible scoreboard and shot clocks, with a back-up system available in the event of difficulties with the primary system. Will you have a back-up?
- Timing system should be interfaced together (one button stops game and shot time simultaneously). Whenever possible, Colorado Timing or IST manufacturers are preferred. What type of system do you have?
- Site must have a working PA system available for all games. System should be accessible from the scorer's table. A suitable back-up must be available in the event the primary system fails. What is your back-up plan?
- The host institution must have an American flag visible in the facility.
- The host institution must provide six tables and four chairs for the concessions area and at least three tables and eight chairs for the scorer's table. Where will we be setting up the concessions area?
- Host must provice internet access on site.
- The host institution is responsible for setup and break down of any equipment.
- Is the pool adequately marked and with what?
- Pool must have warm-up area capable of allowing two teams to swim and pass simultaneously. What is available?
- Host must have seating for at least 400 spectators. If not permanent, temporary seating may be utilized, with all costs being the responsibility of the host institution. What is your capacity?
- In the event of inclement weather, host institution must have a method for providing coverage for the entire spectator area, the entrance gate, scorer's table, and concessions table. Any costs associated with this coverage are borne by the host institution. What are your plans?
- Hospitality room provided by the host must offer meals for the officials and staff working the venue during the entire time. Meals may be nominal in the form of sandwiches and pizza for lunch and dinner and bagels/muffins for breakfast.
- Hospitality room must clearly state that access is limited to staff and officials and whenever possible should be in an area separate from the pool deck.
- Host institution must provide a separate area for officials to change their clothes and relax between games, apart from the teams and coaches. Where will this be?
- ·Host institution must have internet access on site for CWPA staff, preferably accessible from the deck.
- Classroom may be needed to conduct seminars for special events. Capacity? Location? Availability?
- The spectator area designated by the host must include an area on deck for the disabled and wheel-chair bound individual.
- If the locker room does not have adequate storage or the ability to secure personal belongings and team equipment, the host institution must provide an area monitored by staff or locked, for teams to store their possessions while competing.
- The host institution is responsible for any cleaning and maintenance of the facility.
- What signage restrictions does your institution have?
- Can you make available campus maps (50)?
- Are there any special parking arrangements for teams and costs?
- Is there an area for photographs following the event?
- What is the driving time between the pool and the airport?
- Tournament must be held at a site that provides sufficient affordable hotel space. Can you locate a list of hotels in the area and fax it to us?
- What is the distance by car from the pool to the one you would recommend?
- An award will be issued for the tournament MVP.
- Teams finishing in first, second, and third place will receive awards.
- An all-Tournament team will be selected naming the top 14 athletes, including two goalies and a coach of the year. Members of the all-Tournament Team will receive certificates.
- The CWPA staff will coordinate the voting for the all-Tournament team.
Costs and Fees
- The entry fee is based on total costs for the event and invoiced following the tournament.
- This entry fee is payable to the CWPA
- The CWPA will handle the collection of entry fees and the payment of all officials' costs.
- The host institution is required to pay an entry fee.
- Host may sell food to defray costs.
- All inventory and ticket revenue is the property of the CWPA
Admission will be charged, with host institution students, faculty, and staff receiving a 50% discount with ID
Ground Transportation and Hotel Reservation Block
The CWPA in consultation with the staff of the host institution will arrange hotel space and ground transportation for the incoming teams. Information about these items will be distributed by the CWPA Office and posted on the web.